[jwplayer file=”http://d27drpt3zqro3l.cloudfront.net/public/gc/Session2-1.m4v” provider=”http” width=”560″ height=”392″ image=”http://d27drpt3zqro3l.cloudfront.net/public/gc/Session2.jpg”]
At The Gospel Coalition national conference in Chicago, IL, BibleMesh held three panel discussions and above is the second of the three, held on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 12:30pm. The discussion, entitled “Getting to Know the Bible Personally as One Grand Narrative,” was led by Michael McClenahan of BibleMesh. We had three world-class expositors weigh in on the topic: Kent Hughes, David Jackman, and Ligon Duncan.
The discussion began on how each of the participants personally came to clear convictions about the story of the Bible being about the great salvation of Jesus Christ. It was an edifying discussion of God’s ordinary means of faithful preaching and Bible teaching in the life of the church. But then, recognizing that many Christians don’t recognize the Bible as one story about Christ and his gospel, the discussion turned to the weaknesses in evangelical spirituality that causes neglect of this issue. Other interesting points in the discussion were how a Christ-centered reading of the Scriptures nourishes our soul and how our moral life shapes our reading of the Old Testament.
Below are some of the resources mentioned:
- The resource mentioned by Duncan, “The Mouthpiece of God” is found in J.I. Packer’s book, Truth & Power: The Place of Scripture in the Christian Life (IVP)
- Graeme Goldsworthy, The Goldsworthy Trilogy: (Gospel and Kingdom, Gospel and Wisdom, The Gospel in Revelation) (Paternoster)
- Edmund Clowney, Unfolding Mystery: Discovering Christ in the Old Testament (P&R)
- Vaughan Roberts, God’s Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible (IVP)
- The BibleMesh Biblical Story Course